Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Teachers' Union Endorses Child Labor -- To Benefit The Union!

Good news:  Teachers Unions shaking down kids to pay their exorbitant salaries
By Mark Hemingway
Washington Examiner
June 8, 2010

A mother in New Jersey got a rude surprise from her child recently:
I  am looking for your opinions and insights based upon a very distressing situation my youngest daughter brought to my attention last week involving a school fundraiser.
As both she and the letter she handed me stated, my daughter was to accomplish chores around the house with the goal of being paid by me for those chores the sum of $20.  She would then have to hand the full $20 over to the school to make up for the shortfall in their overall budget which, ultimately, disallowed the kids to go on yet another class trip.  Participation was mandatory according to what my daughter told me and the letter seemingly conveyed (however, on a later phone call, my daughter’s teacher altered the word “mandatory” to be “suggested” despite all evidence to the contrary).
The extent in which the teacher tried to convince me that this fundraiser and the lesson held within was in the best interest of the children was rather sickening especially as paying my children to undertake family chores goes against all that I have ever taught them.
If this seems shocking, it shouldn’t. Michael Graham points out this isn’t exactly a new phenomenon:
Ed.  Add this to the $24 billion bailout the Dems are going to give teacher's union.  For a group of leftists, they sure want to accumulate a lot of money. 

1 comment:

  1. I think it'd be in order to send a "nice little note" to the schoolteacher (with copies to the school system and the board of education) explaining that paying for chores is not the practice in your family and you resent both the clear implication that it is "mandatory" - no matter the language - and that you personally resent the attempted intrusion into what you view as a family matter as well as the implication that your child will somehow be penalized because of this.

    As for the writer of the note and/or the school system involved, tell them that they can learn to live within their means (as you try to teach your children to do) and cut expenses instead of trying the attempted extortion of parents using innocent children as dupes and intermediaries.

    You might ask them "... what do you think you are; Democrats? ..."

    ReplyDelete